SHAOLIN Tang Lang Chuan
Praying mantis style boxing
Considered an advanced form, the hands are held with the index finger straight out, the third finger straight but bent at 90 degrees, and the other fingers held in a fist. The hand is flexed 90 degrees at the wrist for striking. The striking part of the hand is the wrist, top of hands, and both straightened fingers. The stance is very low (painfully low), with the rearward lower leg almost parallel to the ground. There is a gentle sway back and forth, or side to side, when in the praying mantis position. The arms also convey this gentle sway.
* Stand straight facing 12, hands at sides
* Lean forward from waist up, right hand palm towards belly, slides to the left, as left hand slides behind back to right, twist upper body to left
* Once turned completely to left, left open hand slides back out to left, right fingertips at elbow; twist slowly to right. Left hand slides up right arm to shoulder.
* Once twisted to right, right hand sweeps down in front of body, left hand on right shoulder, right hand sweeps palm up towards left as you twist upper body to left; then, once right arm is horizontal, twist arm and body together to right, until looking to 12.
* Right hand slowly comes back to behind shoulder.
* Right hand then slowly pushes forward, palm to the front, to 12, left hand on right shoulder.
* Once fully extended, snap right hand to palm rearward.
* Right arm then sweeps upward to vertical; then continues sweep down to feet as you lower body, bending knees, and twisting body and knees to the left. Right arm continues sweep to the left of knees, as you twist body, right arm then continues sweep to horizontal, palm up, pointed towards 12, with body and knees low and twisted towards 1030.
* With a sudden movement, twist right arm and hand counterclockwise, turning right shoulder to 9.
* Jump up suddenly with praying mantis hands, right to rear, left to 12, into low xu bu stance facing 12.
* Jump up into high xu bu stance facing 12, right knife hand swings around to 12, left open palm catches right forearm, palm down.
* Lean into gong bu facing 12 as you circle right knife hand downward and back towards belly, snapping forward to 12 with a right praying mantis hand; left hand slides palm down to top of right wrist.
* Right hand circles around to grab, left and right hand staying together, swing arms horizontally clockwise back to 6 as you shift to gong bu leaning towards 6.
* Hands leave each other as you swing back to gong bu leaning towards 12, with left outstretched arm, palm down circles around to 12 and further on to 6, right outstretched arm palm up circles around to 12.
* Lean back towards 6 in a high xu bu stance leaving right arm palm up outstretched to 12, both shoulders and hips now facing 12, but bringing left hand palm up back towards face, fingers pointing to 12.
* Drop down into low praying mantis position, snapping left knife hand out to 12, bringing right hand back to palm down block position in front of groin.
* Stand up in flamingo position with right knee up facing 12, head back, as you circle both arms clockwise around once, on second circle, slap them together and snap out open hand, palm up, to 3. left hand returns to side. Upper body is leaning back to 6.
* Doing praying mantis roll with forearms, upper body leaning forward, then lunge forward to 3 into low praying mantis position striking towards 3, fingers are downward, left hand by chest or right shoulder.
* Drop lower into an alternating left and right praying mantis stance as you sweep the right and left arms, palm down, right from right to left, left from left to right, two circles, as you rise up. As you rise up, the left leg rises rearward.
* Jump into low praying mantis position facing 12 with right arm striking to 12, left hand at head, fingers are now outward.
* Stand up on right as you bring left hand under right arm, and striking out to 12 with back fist, right arm bends with fist coming by face, elbow to 6; feet are together facing towards 3.
* Right fist sweeps around towards 12 striking as back fist; left returns horizontally as fist to face, left elbow to 9, move into high xu bu stance, left foot forward to 12.
* Right fist circles down to feet, towards 6, then up over head as right foot kicks straight legged forward to 12, bring right fist down to right kicking leg, with left fist stopping right arm under right elbow.
* Step forward with right into gong bu facing 12, right fist circles up by body and then strikes out to 12 as back fist, left hand supports right elbow.
* Run forward left, right, left, then jump off of right, bringing left knee up high, and kicking straight legged with right to 12, toes first. Land on right, step to left towards 12 bringing right leg bent with right foot behind left knee, while doing praying mantis roll with forearms.
* Strike out into low praying mantis stance facing 12, with right arm, fingers are downward, left praying mantis hand by chest or right shoulder.
* Open hands, move into ma bu, swinging both arms straight and clockwise, one complete circle as you step up on left straight leg, kicking to 6 with right (behind left) and striking with both open hands to 6.
* Stand up on left with right leg bent behind left knee, bring right fist up to right side of face, left fist in high horse position in front of chest.
* Step down into gong bu towards 9, striking with same position to 9 with both arms.
* Circle left fist down and right fist (close to body) up, both circle clockwise, and after one revolution, both hands slap, with right open hand striking palm up out to 9; left hand goes to left side of body, upper body and head are leaning backward to 12, all the while standing on right leg, with left foot behind right knee.
* Standing on right leg, straighten body upright, facing 6, circle both open hands with outstretched arms towards 6, right moves clockwise, left circles counterclockwise; twice, on third rotation of right lunge forward to 6 into low praying mantis stance and strike with right praying mantis hand, fingers are outside, left hand is by head.
* Circle right open hand counterclockwise back to 3, then over head, leaning upper body and head back to 12, right hand continues its sweep around to 12 and 9 and then sweeps at 3, as left hand sweeps counterclockwise to 6 and then to 3.
* Jump to a feet together crouch, with both arms clasping body, right arm on top of left.
* Jump up, feet together, facing 3, right fist swings outright to 6, left fist rises to face with left elbow towards 12.
* Step back with left towards 12 into high xu bu, as right arm (straight) circles clockwise down to knees, towards 12, up over head, and then down again in front of body by knees, facing 6, with praying mantis hands. Left arm circles clockwise to 3, down to feet, back to 12 and up over head, also with praying mantis hands.
* Jump towards 6 into gong bu position, with right thrust punch to 6.
* Left thrust punch to 6.
* Right thrust punch to 6
* Left open hand strikes out over right as you turn counterclockwise with left foot moving towards 6; move into gong bu facing 12, right elbow strike to 12, slapping left palm against forearm.
* Circle left fist counterclockwise back to 6, then up over head; circle right fist back counterclockwise to 6, bring up over head, and then grab opponent at 12, holding arms close to body, right over left.
* Fall down into low praying mantis stance, with right praying mantis hand striking to 6 and left striking to 12.
* Circle right hand clockwise down to floor, back to 12, up over head, and then to the right of body and behind body; step with left towards 430 into gong bu, strike towards 6 with right knife hand, left hand palm down on top of right shoulder.
* Stand up on right leg, left leg slightly raised towards 12, right hand circles in back to body and then upright to 6 with open hand; left hand falls to right armpit.
* Left hand slides down body to behind body; then right arm sweeps down towards 12, as you fall into a crouch.
* Both hands, palm down, circle horizontally in front of body, right goes right to left, left goes left to right, as you gently rise up. Left leg also rises up rearward towards 6. Both hands end up as praying mantis hands, high above your head, left leg held up rearwards towards 6.
* Bring both hands straight armed down quickly as left knee rises up towards 12.
* Bring both hands back to chest, step forward towards 12 with left into low praying mantis stance, striking out with left praying mantis hand, fingers pointing downward, right praying mantis hand by left armpit.
* Stand up, step forward towards 12 with right into high xu bu, right arm swings under left as left returns to body, then right praying mantis hand strikes up to block by left face, left praying mantis hand strikes out towards 12, fingers aimed towards right.
* Step forward with left into high xu bu, both hands swing to right, with left praying mantis hand blocking near right face, right praying mantis hand striking towards 12, fingers face left.
* Step forward to 12 with right as right hand circles down and back to body, body leaning forward, left hand palm up heads towards floor, then left leg goes up in air behind you and strike out to 12 with right praying mantis hand, returning left praying mantis hand to body.
* Step back with left into high xu bu, as left thrust punch strikes to 12, right returns to horse.
* Keeping right foot forward towards 12, jump up and land in gong bu towards 12, with right thrust punch to 12, left returns to horse.
* Left open palm to 12, over right fist, as left leg steps behind and towards 12, turning body to face to 6, end in gong bu facing 6.
* Right elbow strike to 6 with left palm slapping right forearm.
* Keeping feet planted, move to gong bu facing 12, keeping left palm under right elbow, with right back fist strike to 12.
* Left palm strikes upward, as right foot steps forward to 12, right arm returns to behind body and strikes to 12 in thrust punch, left palm on top of right arm.
* Run towards 12 with left, right, left, then jump off of right to do tornado kick, land in ma bu facing 3 then either left back kick or circular back kick to 12, landing in gong bu facing 12, right foot towards 12, left towards 6, with right thrust punch to 12, left hand on right arm.
* Keeping left hand on right arm, twist upper body to face 3, bringing right fist upward, arm horizontal and bent, blocking towards 6.
* Stand up on right, left foot at right knee, with both arms going up and then dropping down with praying mantis hands, right to 6, left to 12, both arms outstretched and parallel with ground.
* Step back with left towards 12, turning body to face 6, swinging left arm clockwise up to sky, down to 6, right fist swings clockwise back to body, right foot steps back towards 12 past left, left fist swings down to ground, right fist goes down to behind right side of body and then swings up behind body, as left fist returns up behind body, to swing around in front of chest; right arm continues its circle coming down as a straight armed strike towards 6, resting on left fist. End up in high xu bu position facing 6.
* Step on left leg, bringing right leg behind left knee, do one praying mantis roll with arms, and lunge towards 6 into praying mantis stance, striking with right, left at chest or armpit, fingers down.
* Moving via a ma bu position, end up in praying mantis stance towards 12, circle right hand over head and bring it down and in front of chest; left hand circles downward to rear to a threatening circling position towards 12, fingers are down.
* Stand up circling both open hands from 6 and 12 up over head, then down in front of body, together as you breathe out. Hands stop at sides.
Tong Lang Quan
- Written by: doc